Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bring out another basket...

So I'm guilted into grocery shopping 10 minutes before kick-off on Sunday. To make matters worse, I had to stand in a deli line 6 people deep, the majority eligible for AARP2 cards. As I'm standing there stewing in my own contempt for shopping, I noticed something a bit disturbing; no, not the potato salad from yesterday nor the cows tongue in the case. Nope - something unsustainably upsetting. I'll explain.

Remember going to the deli and pulling that little tab that had a number that would hold your place in line? Well, nowadays they have a machine with a huge button, and when you push said button, an equally large piece of paper shoots out with a gi-normous number on it, no doubt an advantage for my geriatric line buddies. HOWEVER! To get back to the unsettling observation, I noticed a basket filled with these tp square-sized sheets of paper. Brimming if you will. Of the workers noticed how full it was and called to another worker:

"Hey Ellie, bring out another basket!"



Wait, another basket? Why not empty the first? And, whoa, where are they emptying the first? Yup, you guessed it. The same trash they throw the ham stubs into.

What makes me even more puzzled is the fact that this same shop has a computer where you can enter your deli order (no print out) and you will be called when it is ready. They also have those hand scanners where you can scan all of your items as you shop and keep on your budget (also allow for a faster check out).

How can they have 2 extremely sustainable practices in place, but take 2 major leaps back with the machine that prints billboards (compared to the pull-tabs) that will eventually go in the universal trash?

As a steering member of RISE (Responsibility in Sustaining our Environment), my sustainable senses are heighted by such inconsistencies. The good thing is, I can write about them in hopes to influence others.

No comments: